-->

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Update - You CAN use your "Blue" Wishblade with Windows 7!

This post could also be titled "Where there's a will, there's a way!"



You may remember that over a year ago I posted a tutorial to help you use you Blue Wishblade with Vista or Windows 7. I felt there have been enough changes in the options available to you that it was time for an update!

Remember, as with any new software installation, it's best to set a "restore point" prior to any changes, so you can essentially roll the machine back if there are any unforseen consequences!

By now, most folks know that (internally at least) a wishblade, craftrobo, and silhouette are essentially the same machine with different badging. So, it's no surprise that finally these commonalities might solve some of the problems.

Download the Silhouette Studio (version 1.7.1) from the Silhouette America storefront.
Find the setup file and double-click it to begin the installation process.
Follow the prompts during the installation process.
Plug your cutter in to the Windows 7 computer and turn it on. Driver should be installed automatically. If you get a warning about not finding the driver you should be able to just ignore it.
You can now access your GSDs through Silhouette Studio and send to cut through that program.

Now, I have been told that Blue & pink wishblade owners and craftrobo owners are successfully cutting using Silhouette Studio from XP and Vista machines as well, so please share any tips you have in the comments section here...

I would recommend that you keep a separate GSD copy of any file you plan to open into Studio, because you can only save as a .GSP (via save to SD card mechanism) or as a .STUDIO file. This means that only Studio users can open and cut these files.

You CAN have more than one version of Robomaster on your machine at any time...just name them appropriately (like "blue wishblade GSD", "Studio to cut", or "original Robomaster") so you know which one to launch.

13 comments:

  1. I have been sitting for 3 years with an incompatible blue wishblade. Once again I googled for a solution and I found your post. I downloaded Silhouette and in 5 minutes I cut letters with a background! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I think you're my new favorite person! I just got my blue Wishblade running on my Vista laptop using Silhouette Studio! And it now does things like welding letters together that I was never able to do! YAY! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I picked up a wishblade used and this was perfect. I can now use it to cut so many things.

    I have a vista computer and worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I too have a blue wishblade that has become a dust collector. I can only find the 2.5.0 software update. All the wishblade will do is make a bunch of fan shape cuts. Any ideas? Thanks for sharing and helping all that you do!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber,have you tried using the Silhouette software? Just completely ignore the wishblade versions and try with this one.

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      I have been trying to use the Silhouette software with my WB. The program loads, but there is nothing in the library, no fonts, etc. I am wondering if perhaps Silhouette has blocked the ability to use their software for the WB?
      If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.
      Thanks so much,
      Leslie

      Delete
    3. After playing with it, I figured it out. You have to go to the File drop down and click on Send to my Silhouette and then they all loaded. Hope this may help someone else.
      It worked great by the way. I cut out a snowflake and it is a thing-o-beauty!
      :)Leslie

      Delete
    4. I've seen this posted several places and I'm glad to see it still works. I have a knk groove e, but wanted something smaller to travel with and ease of use for pnc. I just sold my cricut create & cartridge tote and had funds available on eBay so went ahead and purchased a new near used blue Wishblade. Does anyone know since the wb/cr/silhouette are so similar can you use the new style of silhouette blades and fabric blades with the wb?
      Thanks,
      Heather

      Delete
  5. Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post this. I've been looking at a cricut since I thought my wishblade was a dinosaur with the newer computers, but you've saved me! I have the original blue wishblade ($700 when my husband gave it to me). I can't believe how fast it cuts...much faster than the original program. Thank you so much!!!
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY . . . can't thank you enough for researching and posting your "workaround" for using my old Blue Wishblade on my Windows 7 computer!!!! Like others, I was cutting my patterns within 10 minutes!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post!!! I've had an "old blue" for 9 years & haven't used it in a while. I just loaded the software onto my Windows 8 & can't wait to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dianne from Australia. After reading your post I now can use my Blue wishblade. It was a birthday gift from my family Had it for many many years and have not been able to use it, and I thought it was Me! I have a questions regarding the cards that came with the machine. How do I get to use these? Probably not compatible with my computer in 2014. Would appreciate some assistance from someone, anyone.
    Cheers
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My! I have a blue wishblade that I haven't used in many years due to incompatibility. I may have to drag it out and see if it will work. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'd love to hear from you, so...leave me a message!